Via Texas Association of Realtors..
Knowledge is power, particularly if you are striving to afford your first home. The homebuying process has many myths, though. For instance, you don’t have to put 20% down, you don’t have to have perfect credit, and you don’t have to accept a high interest rate or junk fees.
Texas REALTORS® are committed to dispelling these myths and making the American Dream of homeownership a reality for more people. Some have taken additional training in affordable housing through a program called the Texas Affordable Housing Specialist certification.
Here are a few details about purchasing a home that may interest you:
• Many local, state, and national programs are available in Texas offering downpayment assistance or low interest rates for first-time homebuyers.
• A first-time homebuyer, for the purpose of these programs, is defined as someone who has not owned a home in the past three years.
• You may be eligible for up to $2,000 in federal tax reductions through Mortgage Credit Certificates, which keep more cash in your pocket and make your mortgage more affordable.
• If you are a Texas veteran or currently in the armed services or National Guard, you may qualify for some of the best home loans in the country through the Texas Veterans Land Board.
• You don’t need to have stellar credit, five years on the job, or even any downpayment funds to get your start as a proud homeowner.
Texas REALTORS® can help point out homebuying resources, identify beneficial programs, and guide you through the home loan process.